Call For Board Members!
Posted On April 23, 2021
Are you interested in the cross-section between energy and social justice? Do you want to join a not-for-profit that works towards an equitable and sustainable future by creating innovative projects focused around decarbonization of energy, community ownership, and changing our view of energy from that of a commodity to that of an ecological resource and a social necessity?
Then look no further! By volunteering for our board, you can put your skills to work, support a cause in which you believe while gaining valuable governance expertise, expanding your professional network, and strengthening your professional credibility.
Shift-Catalysts is a new not-for-profit organization looking to identify and alleviate barriers that prevent organizations, not-for-profits, government bodies, and innovators from effectively addressing energy justice issues such as energy-related human rights abuses or energy poverty. Together we create disruptions that can lead to meaningful paradigm shifts in our energy system allowing us to build a pathway towards a just, sustainable, and resilient future where no community is left behind. Our current focus is on the equity of the Canadian energy system. We wish to investigate the system and identify pressure points for change and see these changes to fruition. Take a look at our website for more information about our ongoing projects. (www.shiftcatalysts.com).
As an organization led by women and centered around environmental and just values, we know that our work is stronger when it includes the perspective and knowledge of people who have faced systemic barriers and comes from all walks of life. We encourage applications from members of the Black, Indigenous, and (other) People of Color communities as well as people of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. We are particularly interested in hearing from people with the following skill set but anyone who feels connected to our work is encouraged to apply:
- Social Justice leaders that can guide us on issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Governmental advocates that can assist in navigating the political landscape of policy development, legislation, and funding.
- Accountants or community members with financial experience, that can assist us in activities that require good financial literacy and insight.
- Community leaders, who understand the importance of community participation, leadership, and engagement.
- Lawyers or people with legal experience, that can put their skills of mediation, general understanding of the law, and negotiation to use.
- Experts from the energy sector that can provide insight into the regulatory body and policy-making landscape of the energy industry.
If you believe in reciprocity and growing while exchanging knowledge, you will find board service very rewarding. We are looking for people who will:
- Attend 4-6 remote board meetings annually.
- Actively serve. As a new organization, we are looking for a close working relationship with occasional hands-on support.
- Advocate for our work in the community and among your network.
- Always be open-minded and curious. Our work is multifaceted and centered around innovation. We are systems thinkers and actively seeking to catalyze a paradigm shift.
- Make a small personal, charitable contribution to cover the cost of the liability insurance
- Be supportive, kind, honest, transparent, and hold themselves accountable.
To apply for a position on our Board, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 17th
Please answer the following question in your cover letter
- Why do you want to be a board member of Shift-Catalysts?
- What social and energy justice issues are you passionate about?
Shift-Catalysts welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If an applicant requests an accommodation, we will discuss their needs with them and make adjustments to support them.